The Police Athletic League (PAL) Boxing Club hosted the 4th annual Southwest Explosion on Saturday at the Sammy Burke Youth Boxing Center in Las Cruces.
The event brought amateur male and female boxers from 9 to 25 years old from around New Mexico and West Texas to compete against the Las Cruces PAL Boxers.
The center is home to the Las Cruces PAL Boxing Club, a program that takes at-risk youth off the streets and teaches them discipline through boxing. All proceeds went to the Las Cruces PAL Boxing Club. Las Cruces PAL will donate $1 out of every $10 collected from entry fees to the State Local Boxing Committee for future state qualifying events.
The following are the results from Saturday night:
- Harlon Gilbert, age 9 of Las Cruces PAL, decision over Jose Luis Montoya, age 9 of Old School Boxing (Deming, NM)
- Jesse Gonzales, age 13 of The Rocks (Ruidoso, NM), decision over Isiah Castillo, age 14 of the Lubbock Warriors
- Frankie Lucero, age 11 of Old School Boxing(Deming), decision over Trevor Avila, age 11, of Next Level Boxing (El Paso).
- Miguel Burumen, age 16 of Sunland Park Boxing Club, stops Lorenzo Benavidez of Team Mirabal (Albuquerque).
- Santiago Giron, age 11 of Power & Glory Gym (Albuquerque) decision over Alijah Viramontes, age 12 of Lubbock Warriors.
- Edwin Acosta, age 17 of Las Cruces PAL, decision over Uriel Juarez, age 16 of Next Level Boxing A (El Paso).
- Michael Delahoussaye, age 18 of Las Cruces PAL stops Christopher Munoz, age 19 of Sunland Park Boxing Club.
- Mariah Leon, age 15 of Lubbock Warriors, decision over Jordanne Garcia, age 14 of Power & Glory (Albuquerque).
- Juan Jimenez, age 25 of Las Cruces PAL, wins in a walkover.
- Jesus Pacheco, age 20 of Perez Boxing (Albuquerque), decision over Edmundo Guzman, age 17, of Las Cruces PAL.
In another bout, 9-year-old Harlon Gilbert Las Cruces PAL, won a decision over Jose Luis Montoya, of Old School Boxing in Deming.
- To view more photos of the event go to Facebook.com/LCPAL.