I just got word from promoters Salvador and Berlin Arrellano that they've canceled next weekend's second Frank N' Con Horror Film Festival.
They attributed the cancellation to low ticket sales, a rare fit of candor from a local promoter.
The horror film festival and expo was scheduled for Sept. 28-30 at the Wyndham Airport Hotel. Tickets were $15 per day, $35 for a 3-day festival pass.
Ticketholders can get refunds at the point of purchase; or contact them via their Facebook page for instructions on refunds.
The news comes on the heels of low turnout and other problems at this year's El Paso Comic Con, which was Sept. 14-16 at the Judson F. Williams Convention Center.
Promoter Julian Lawler said 3,400 showed up for the event, the third annual and the biggest one so far in terms of events and celebrity guests. The second one, which featured Billy Dee Williams, drew 6,000, he said.
But it was marred by some high-profile cancellations the week of the event, including David Prowse and Marina Sirtis, a $40 ticket price that some complained (to me, anyway) was too high for the Sept. 15 events and the allegedly threatening behavior of one of the guests, actor Michael Biehn, on Sept. 16.
Biehn was upset that he didn't get paid and insisted he be paid in cash, not by check, according to Lawler.
The Arrellanos say their event is done. I don't know what this double-whammy means to the future of these kinds of events here. Hopefully, it's more hiccup than fatal illness.