When he isn't running the family construction business, hosting KTEP's "On Film" or putting together another Plaza Classic Film Festival, Charles Horak hosts a free film series called Film Salon.
The winter edition will pay tribute to the films of Marlene Dietrich, beginning at 7:30 p.m. Jan. 7 with "Morocco," her first American-made movie.
The monthly series at Trinity-First United Methodist Church, 801 N. Mesa, continues on Feb. 4 with "The Scarlett Empress" (by "Blue Angel" and "Morocco" director Josef von Sternberg), followed by the comedy "Destry Rides Again" on March 3 and Billy Wilder's "Witness for the Prosecution" on April 7.
• Tickets for the the musical revue, "100 Years of Broadway," go on sale Jan. 13.
The production, which features snippets of various musicals, comes to the Plaza Theatre at 7:30 p.m. March 26 as part of its Broadway series.
Tickets are $30 and $47.50, plus services charges, and will go on sale at 10 a.m. that day at the box office, Ticketmaster outlets, ticketmaster.com and 800.745.3000.
Presales have already started and will continue through Jan. 12.
• Kids-N-Co., the nonprofit children's theater group, will give two benefit performances of its last production, "You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown" this weekend.
The theater is trying to raise $5,000 to bring its electrical systems up to code. The theater, which failed a city safety inspection in December, can't reopen until the improvements are made.
They'll give two performances at the Scottish Rite Temple Theater.
The main cast (or "big kids" as they're calling it) performs at 7:30 p.m. Jan. 7. A younger "little kids" cast will perform it at 2:30 p.m. Jan. 8.
Tickets are $10. Call 351.1455 or go to kidsnco.org for more details.
• That sweater-loving rapper 2 Chainz (check out his "Spend It" remix video with T.I.) performs at 8 p.m. Jan. 13 at Tricky Falls.
Tickets for the former Playaz Circle member's show are $25 GA and $100 VIP, which includes balcony access and a chance to skip the line. They're on sale at the club and Ticketbully.
• Tickets for DJ Sebastian Ingrosso's Feb. 3 show at El Buchanan's (formerly Buchanan's Event Center) are now on sale. They're $16, plus service charges, at groovetickets.com.
El B's also will host "Life in Color," the latest Dayglow paint party tour, on Feb. 24. Tickets are not on sale yet.
• DJ collective LNSC is bringing Israeli-born DJ Maayan Nidam (also known as Miss Fritz) to Brick and Mortar in the Union Plaza district at 10 p.m. Jan. 6.
Tickets are $10 at the door. It's a 21-and-over show.
LNSC also has confirmed the long-rumored, long-delayed Stacey Pullen (no relation) show. The Detroit DJ, part of Motor City techno's second wave, will play Lowbrow Palace at 9 p.m. Jan. 21.
Tickets are $10 at the door, $15 for those 18 to 20 years old.
They're also listing a Feb. 11 stop by Carl Craig, another second generation Detroit techno artist. No other details have been announced.
• The Scottish Rite Temple Theatre has added shows by Milton Bullock, who was in the Platters from 1967-70, for 7 p.m. Feb. 24.
It's also added Ruidoso's Flying J Wranglers for Dec. 1.
By the way, proceeds from local singer-songwriter Tim Thompson's show there at 7 p.m. Jan. 28 will go to the Scottish Rite Hospital for Children.
Those tickets are $15, $10 for students with ID, on sale at the theater from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Mondays through Thursdays.
• Rap en espanol's Ms. Krazie brings her "Hello Loca" tour to Frankie's West, 5850 Onix, at 6 p.m. March 11.
Duende is also on the bill.
It's an all-ages show.
Tickets are $10 GA, $15 VIP, on sale at facebook.com/events/264935066900694 or by calling 694.6067.
• La Furia del Norte, Grupo Piramides and El Grupo La Base have been added to the Feb. 4 Conjunto Primavera show at the Coliseum.
El Paso's Los Rieleros del Norte, touting new single "Delirando," is also on that bill.
Tickets are $37.50, plus service charges, on sale at the box office, Ticketmaster outlets, ticketmaster.com and 800.745.3000.
• George Galindo of the Texas Tattoo Showdown Festival says that Hawthorne Heights and Days of the New will play this year's tattoo and music event July 13-15 at the Coliseum.
About 30 bands and 200 tat artists will take part in the third annual festival, part of the national Ink Life tour. Three-day passes will sell for $35.
Call 626.4799 for more info.
• Tenor William Gilbert, who'll sing the role of Basilio in El Paso Opera's "The Marriage of Figaro," teams with violist Luis Alarcon in a free recital at 3 p.m. Jan. 8 at Grace United Methodist Church, 400 N. Carolina.
It's part of the church's "2nd Sundays at Grace" concert series.
"Figaro" will be staged March 15 and 17-18 at Magoffin Auditorium.
• The El Paso Youth Choir, a community group for singers 6 to 18, will have auditions for its winter season at 5:30 p.m. Jan. 10 at St. Paul's Lutheran Church, 1000 Montana.
It consists of two choirs, a children's choir for kids 6-9 and a youth choir for 10-18.
Rocio Rodriguez conducts the youth choir; Czarina Vasquez leads the children's choir.
Call 422.8793 for more information.