So here is officially the first cross country blog for the year. Sorry it’s taken so long to get to this, however we have been doing something new in the meantime.
Every week we have been doing a Top 10 individual poll. You can see it below in it’s entirety and every week Eastwood coach McClain has been nice enough to post them on his Web site. So every week you can see the Top 10 in our paper on Thursdays and then browse McClain’s site for the full thing.
I hope that for starters this brings more people to our paper, but more importantly brings excitment to how last week’s results affected the poll.
But I did want to clear some things up:
1. Because it is based on a point system, I recognize that it is flawed. If a runner is at large meets or run out-of-town for several races they may not get as many points as a runner who was in smaller meets.
At the same time a runner could miss a week or two for several reasons. Thus they immediately give up any chance for points. So this is not a definition of the top runners in El Paso, just a system to make things a little more funner.
2. Because of the above reasons, this point system will not determine the MVP or the All-City team. I cannot stress how important this fact is early. If I only relied on this it would defeat the whole purpose of me going out to the meets each week (and I do like to be out there).
Now this may help make some decisions if it comes down to a few runners who are pretty equal, but most of it will depend on district, regional and state results.
With that thought, maybe I will double the points for those meets, kind of like Double Jeopardy. What do you runners and coaches think? If so, should the Chamazal run be doubled as well.
3. I may miss a runner or a team that was out of town here or there. If you or anyone you know had a Top 10 finish and it doesn’t show in the poll, feel free to let me know or have a coach pass the information along. I want this to be as accurate as possible.
So without further rambling here is the poll for Week 3 of cross country. Enjoy.
The El Paso Times Cross Country Individual Poll
Note: Individual runners are ranked according to a point system. A runner receives 10 points for finishing in first place and 1 point for 10th. Size and location of meets are not taken into account.
*Numbers in ()’s are number of wins a runner has.
1. Isaac Spencer Austin 26 (1)
2. Juan Blanco Eastwood 21 (1)
3. Ramon Garcia Austin 19 (1)
T-4. Adrian Anaya Horizon 18
T-4. Eli Hernandez Jefferson 18
6. Joel Flores Jefferson 17 (1)
7. Angel De La Cruz Montwood 16
T-8. Alex Acuna Jefferson 9
T-8. Vincente Montes Andress 9
T-8. Justin Gerber-Cardon Montwood 9
T-11. David Sambrano Franklin 17
T-11. Jadin Rankin Americas 8
T-11. Joseph Young Chapin 8
T-13. Juan Salazar Socorro 7
T-13. T. Castanon Irvin 7
T-13. Luis Fuentes Horizon 7
T-13. Daniel Diaz Del Valle 7
T-13. Ruben Acosta Del Valle 7
T-18. Adrian Aguirre Coronado 6
T-18. Trevail Chacon Andress 6
T-21. J. Flores Irvin 5
T-21. Alfonso Gutierrez Burges 5
T-21. Zack Bassett Coronado 5
T-21. Davis Joyner Andress 5
T-25. Afif Chehade Burges 4
T-25. David Portillo Socorro 4
T-25. Neal Apodaca Bel Air 4
T-25. Robert Edwards Riverside 4
T-29. Jordan Zamudio Parkland 3
T-29. Julian Maldonado Hanks 3
T-29. Richard Edwards Riverside 3
T-32. Ben Gutierrez Austin 2
T-32. Seth McMullen Franklin 2
T-32. Pablo Clark Americas 2
T-32. A. Franco Jefferson 2
T-36. Michael Nieman Franklin 1
T-36. G. Perez Eastwood 1
T-36. Luis Delgado Ysleta 1
T-36. Adrian Terrazas El Paso High 1
1. Shannon Luevano Hanks 27 (1)
T-2. Sarah Rayas Clint 24 (1)
T-2. Vanessa Moreno Horizon 24
4. Diane Bocklage Coronado 20 (2)
5. Veronica Sandoval Chapin 19
6. Sonia Vasquez Horizon 18 (1)
7. Aimee Apodaco Eastwood 16
8. Elyssa Garcia Eastwood 15
T-9. Danielle Costanzo Chapin 13
T-9. Allie Juarez Franklin 13
T-11. Melissa Reyes Clint 12
T-11. Shannon McMillian Hanks 12
T-12. Heather Delgado Clint 10
T-12. Laura Delgado Andress 10
T-14. Brandee Baca Eastwood 8
T-14. Rio Salazar Riverside 8
16. Maria Esquinca Del Valle 7
T-17. Stephanie Sapien Canutillo 6
T-17. Danielle Costanzo Chapin 6
T-17. Theresa Torres Jefferson 6
T-17. Isabel Regalado Eastwood 6
21. Angie Palomino Del Valle 5
T-22. Brisa Carrillo Del Valle 4
T-22. Rebecca Gutierrez Americas 4
T-22. Rebecca Morales Parkland 4
T-25. Rocio Gomez Franklin 3
T-25. Gabby Sepulveda Americas 3
T-25. Erica Ramos El Dorado 3
T-25. Linda Vicario Chapin 3
T-29. Szilarda Mendoza Coronado 2
T-29. Stephanie Soto El Dorado 2
T-29. Ileana Acosta El Dorado 2
T-32. Leti Najera El Paso High 1
T-32. Jasmine Pereda Horizon 1