June 2, 1919
Having a definite goal in mind and keeping to the plan was the main theme of the address delivered by Dr. David R. Boyd, president of the University of New mexico, at the fourth annual commencement of the Texas School of Mines, which was held a the University club Saturday night.
The commencement exercises opened with the invocation, which was given by Rev. F.M. Johnson, Jr. Miss Virginia Bean accompanied on the piano by Mrs. V.L. Bean sang a solo. Following the address by Dr. Boyd, L.R. Wosika gave as a cello solo "Schubert's Serenade" and Cadman's "Land of the Sky Blue Water" as the encore.
Rabbi Martin Zielonka, chairman of the board of directors of the College of the City of El Paso, then presented to Miss Dorothy Reardon the certificate licensed initiate from that institution, the commencement of which was held in connection with the School of Mines.
The diploma, conferring the degree of mining engineer, was awarded to John Weldon Wilson, the only graduate of the School of Mines for the year 1919, by Dr. S.H. Worrell, dean of the school. The program concluded with the benediction by Rev. Henry Van Valkenburg.
Reception is Held
Immediately following the program an informal reception was held for Mr. Wilson. Later in the evening the faculty of the School of Mines and the members of the University club were hosts at the annual commencement dance.
Present at the commencement exercise and dance were three of the 12 men who have graduated from the School of Mines. They are Lloyd Nelson, who is connected with the reclamation service at El Paso; Carroll Roman, who came from Bisbee, Arizona, to be in attendance , and Henry Becker, who is connected with the Cust Mining company and just returned from Mexico last week.
Decorations of wild yellow daisies from the mountains around the school, white sweet peas and yucca flowers were placed under the direction of Prof. F.H. Seamons, who was assisted by Mrs. Seamon, Jack Cole, Dick Tighe, John Savage and Miss Ruth Augur.
For the first time the official seal of the School of Mines was displayed. It was designed by Miss Ruth Augur registrar of the school. For the original, a miner's shovel is used. It is enameled white with the letters T.S.M., in orange, painted in the three points. In the center of the shovel is designed the miner's packed burro, which is the official mascot of the school, and above the burro is the five pointed star of Texas, also done in orange.